Sunday, September 24, 2006

Dreams are free...and they talk you into crazy things!

I bought a sea kayak several years ago and took it in the Two Harbors 18 mile race. That day was the roughest they have ever run it. I found out that day that I like waves! I started looking at kayak surfing and thought that would be a blast. So I bought a whitewater boat and took Canoe U to learn how to paddle a tiny boat. Then I got caught up in river running and playing. In August I had my first chance to surf in Lake Superior and even though the waves were small I learned alot and had a great time. Today it came full circle to actually surfing some big surf. Brian, Bill and I headed up to Duluth to check it out. We stopped at the Lester and there wasn't much there. On the advice of Roger and Scott we headed to Stoney Point. WOW! It was great! We were out for more than four hours! Met some fun people and all of us are hooked on surfing. The photo of me that I would have liked to have seen was when I wasn't paying attention and a huge wave broke directly behind me. I tried to catch it but it was too steep and just starting to break. Needless to say I had a fun ender, ending in a fine combat roll. Great day on the Lake!









2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm So Jealous! It looks like you guys had an awesome time. The waves look just about perfect. Wish I could have been there. Great pics.

Nora Whitmore said...

Been there at the jealous thing so I know how you feel. We were missing you and Dennis. Next weekend if the conditions are right I think we'll get a group going up again. The leaves were starting to turn so next weekend will be excellent!!