Thursday, October 09, 2008

Barn Bluff Climbing

It was a beautiful fall afternoon. Shirley, Gabby, Todd and I headed up to Barn Bluff to do some climbing. Todd who is a student in Red Wing is from Madison and today was his first time outdoor climbing. He did great! Shirley is a very new climber but she already has the passion for the sport. She's doing fantastic. The climbing wall at the Y just opened up and her children have been climbing with us. All three show great ability for climbing. I was glad to see her daughter Gabby came with today. When she saw the climb she said "no way" but after watching her Mother, Todd and I she was game to try. She did the harder route up the very first time...so fun to see. The time went fast and we have plans to climb Barn Bluff most Thursday afternoons unless I'm on afternoon shift. This week has been chaotic but very fun. I just did seven midnight shifts yet each day I was able to fit something else in. I took two climbing courses this week. Monday at Midwest Mountaineering with Carolyn. If you haven't taken one of her classes she's great! Different teachers have different strengths. She's very strong on technique and movement. Tuesday I climbed at the Y. Wednesday I took an anchors clinic at the U of M...so much info! Now I need to add to my rack and go out and practice setting up anchors. This Tuesday at the Y we'll be having a small informal lead climbing class. Shirley and Todd are very interested to start leading. The young men who belay at the Y are interested in joining us also. And so it begins. It'll be a good climbing year for sure. For those interested in ice climbing the Sandstone Ice Festival is coming up They have FREE clinics on ice climbing but sign up early so you can get a spot. http://www.sandstoneicefest.com Caution...it's very addicting! Hey are you missing the paddling photos?? I know I am! The Kettle should be beautiful tomorrow!!! Fall colors!
Todd
Shirley
Gabby
Gabby
Nora

Todd

Todd
Gabby
Shirley

No comments: