Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Year in Review

Well this year has been something hasn't it. Starting out with learning to kite last Feburary. I didn't get enough of kiting last winter as spring busted loose and the rivers were running. But unfortunately at the same time I ended up with my shoulder getting injured at work which slowed me down considerably. Once I could paddle again I definately tried to make up for lost time. I got out on other rivers this year and loved it! Duluth has to be the greatest place to live in the Midwest...you all are sooo lucky to have all that right in your backyards! Papstapalooza was a blast! Memorial day weekend was great and I was feeling so great I was thinking I should take up running just to wear off more energy. Then something happened. I ran the Baptism and was really puzzled by a lack of energy and weakness. Sure I smacked my face on the last drop but that was due to my being totally exhausted which is very unusual for me. When I went to the Dr. for stitches I had him pull a Lymes test because I realized ...it wasn't natural for me to feel weak like that. Well this was the start of a freaky part of my life. I had episodes of dizzyness and exhaustion right up until about the beginning of November. And YES they had me scared. I really got worried when I found out my co worker also was having the same things as we work at a chemical factory. Long story short the Mayo MRI'd my brain...normal...can you believe that? They checked everything from A to Z...all perfect! Checked my heart and it's solid. My co worker was being seen at the University and they ran him thru everything and the diagnosis we both got was...it must have been a virus. When I asked what kind they said it was probally a relative of Mono. I asked "How did I get this?" I wondered about the river water but the Dr. said 95% of people carry this virus...it just got out of hand with me. My Dr. also stressed that my swinging work schedule was not very good for my health and could have contributed to it...oh well. My co worker is better also but he's not 100% yet. Moving on July was highlighted by the Colorado trip and more Upper and Lower Louis trips...I didn't want to quit paddling and did what I could...took it easy when I had to. You know when I was paddling my creek boat this summer I was tired. I know my paddling buds wanted me to push "it" more but I just didn't have it in me then...thanks for being patient with me!! Then I found my perfect match!! No not a man but an All Star. Love that boat! My last kayaking trip on the Louis this fall was great because I knew I had my health pretty much back and didn't have to worry about that. This winter so far I've tried ice climbing. I want to do more of that but I need to find some partners and get a a few lessons. I also started indoors climbing and I'm looking forward to rock climbing this summer. All in all it's been an interesting good year! My hit list of things to do this next year is to take up Telemark skiing ( that will be this week! ) and also ski the North Shore creeks yet this winter. I want to travel more... Run more rivers...get up to Sturgeon Falls and the Ottawa and also back to Colorado to paddle and climb/hike. Maybe even kiss a few men ;-) Oh yeah and loop at Wausau! As for my health going into 2008...right now I have more energy than I know what to do with but I'm always open to suggestions. My fitness level is great and my strength is almost where I'd like it to be. My on side roll is pretty solid now. I'll be working on the off side and hand roll this winter. I think this is going to be a fantastic year!

No comments: